[geeks] Solaris 10 install size

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 12:57:47 CDT 2006

On 7/13/06, Scott Howard <scott at doc.net.au> wrote:
> > I second the comment about the "official" documentation, it's quite
> > thorough.  My only complaint is that they didn't do a "Solaris 10 for
> > experienced Solaris sys admins" kind of thing that just gives you a
>
> Isn't that exactly the name of the course SunEdu run? :)

Yep.  I would like to take it, but the dtrace class would be my first
choice.  In fact, they were running a promo, dunno if it's still
going--if you took a Sol 10 class you got a PSP.

> The What's New documents give a very basic overview.  For the most part
> the things that have changed in Solaris 10 that you _need_ to know about
> have changed so much that you can just ignore everything you knew before
> and start with the relevant manual. Zones, SMF, ZFS, etc are all unlike
> anything in Solaris 9.

OK, you are right on those points, so let me be more specific.  I want
a better explanation of the service admin commands, as opposed to the
laundry list of defining every option--with unrealistic examples I
might add--that the current docs cover.  Specifically, I think they
gloss the legacy stuff which is a huge oversight to me, given that
probably 20% of the *stock* services are still fall under legacy.

I'd also think the docs for the x86 boxes in the areas of the SP and
the boot loader are weak.  Maybe I'm just being a dummy about grub,
but I have yet to figure out how to pass the right parameters to grub
to get a box to boot in single user mode.  Feel free to whack me about
the head and shoulders with a clue bat.

=Nadine=