[geeks] Solaris 10 install size

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Sun Jul 9 16:03:54 CDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-09 at 16:04, velociraptor wrote:
> Also the x86 service "module" docs are not all that clear though they
> are extensive.  On V20z and similar boxes there is a little PPC that
> boots up some kind of stripped OS, and you use it to configure serial
> console vs. out of band network port to console, faceplate lcd info,
> etc.

To (I think) Sun's shame, they are 64MB RAM, and Linux-based,
controllers that allow for LOM-like behavior - nothing like OpenBoot's
Forth interpreter, and not Chorus or Solaris mini-kernels (Sun owns both
Chorus and of course, Solaris).

The ports on the back  also serve as two or three-port switches, so that
they can be daisy-chained together.  Personally I liked the RSC as seen
on the E250 and similar more.

--Patrick