[geeks] Solaris 10 install size

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Jul 11 00:45:59 CDT 2006

Sun, 09 Jul 2006 @ 16:04 -0400, Nadine said:

> Que has a Solaris 10 certification book out, but I haven't taken a
> look at it, so I am not sure how useful it would be as a general
> reference.

Not really what I'm after.

If I were going for certification, maybe... lately some friends with
certification have found it to be a negative.  Lot's of companies have
been stung by certified idiots, and at least some are now wary of people
with them.

> I second the comment about the "official" documentation, it's quite
> thorough.

True, but a little scattered.

Some things Solaris/Sun needs:

	- something like the FreeBSD Handbook, or the Slackware Linux book
	- something for people who know UNIX and/or know Solaris already
	- good books that don't start out with newbie tutorial crap
	- a "UNIX Power Tools" type book, except for Solaris

> My only complaint is that they didn't do a "Solaris 10 for
> experienced Solaris sys admins" kind of thing that just gives you a
> kind of high level overview of key areas.

Almost what I want.  I want a low level or "cookbook" type detail book
for experienced admins.

The "complete" stuff has too much noise, the beginner stuff is too low
down, and the reference material is full of 100% correct but largely
useless information, mainly because it is a book of solutions to
problems no experienced admin would have, and no examples of situations
you run into in the real world.

That sentence was far too long, but I don't have time to make it
shorter.

> Maybe something in a
> "Before: X, Now: Y" kind of form, with links to the "deep weeds" for
> dealing with the details of Y.  I don't want to have to skim 200 pages
> on a new area just to figure out how to change one thing.

I kind of like the "UNIX System Administration Handbook".

However, it will probably be awhile before it gets updated for newer
releases like FreeBSD 6.x, Solaris 10, etc.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["And in billows of might swell the Saxons
before her,-- Unite, oh unite!	Or the billows burst o'er her!" -- Downfall