[geeks] Wireless Routers

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Fri Jul 7 14:43:03 CDT 2006

On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 03:28:41PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Fri, 07 Jul 2006 @ 00:47 -0400, der Mouse said:
>
>>> And *I* just wish that these idiots would stop making you need
>>> external AC adaptors for stuff that will never move.
>>
>> I don't mind that.  I rather like it, in fact, for various reasons
>> which have mostly been mentioned.
>>
>> But I *do* wish they'd build the wall-warts so they don't take up two
>> or three outlets worth of space on a power bar.
>
> Exactly.
>
> Why can't they put a short cord on them, so the wart doesn't eat outlet
> space?
>
> Some of them appear to be designed specifically to take up space.

A few years ago, these little 1-2' extension cords started showing up in
stores, specifically designed for fixing this problem.  I've been buying
the Y-type ones, let's me use two wall-warts/outlet:

http://www.9thtee.com/electronics.htm
(scroll down to the "Power Strip Jumper Cables)

Even more recently, I saw a power-multiplexer that had built in surge
protection and a power switch, but all the outlets were short pig-tails,
letting you use all the outlets, even full of warts:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/gear/77e6/

There are solutions to this problem other than waiting for the wall-wart
to go the way of the dodo.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org