[geeks] Wireless Routers

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Jul 6 12:40:49 CDT 2006

On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 12:01:15PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Jul 2006, Steve Haavik wrote:
>
> > Well, then what about Monowall (http://m0n0.ch/wall/)?
>
> I guess my initial question was unclear.
>

> When I visit SuperHugeMegaElectronicsWarehouse or
> WeSellComputersAndStuff or even
> WeUsedToSellComponentsButNowWeJustSellPhonesAndTVs, I see aisles and
> aisles of "Wireless Routers".
>
> To my knowledge, none of these devices is actually capable as
> functioning as a -router- with a wireless Ethernet interface (except for
> the Linksys, which two people mentioned, that doesn't support PTP or ad
> hoc mode)..

> I was hoping that this deduction was in error, as I'd like a simple
> plug-and-play -appliance- (ie: not a PC running
> m0n0dd-wrt-open-wap-SupahLinux-badger-potatohead-beta-RC7 or
> aforementioned appliance flashed with same so that it's no-longer an
> appliance--just another stupid Linux/BSD box) to go from $network1 to
> $network2, where neither network is "upstream" from the other.

Perhaps what you want is one WAP and one WET.  Both are available for
Linksys (WAP54G and WET54G).  Both are more expensive that WRTs are, but
they are simpler to use as well.

I am already using a WAP11 happily and I've been meaning to buy a WET11
to go out in the garage.  You probably want the 54G devices though.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net
http://www.jdboyd.net/