[geeks] Wireless Routers

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Jul 6 12:01:15 CDT 2006

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006, Steve Haavik wrote:

> Well, then what about Monowall (http://m0n0.ch/wall/)?

I guess my initial question was unclear.

When I visit SuperHugeMegaElectronicsWarehouse or
WeSellComputersAndStuff or even
WeUsedToSellComponentsButNowWeJustSellPhonesAndTVs, I see aisles and
aisles of "Wireless Routers".

To my knowledge, none of these devices is actually capable as
functioning as a -router- with a wireless Ethernet interface (except for
the Linksys, which two people mentioned, that doesn't support PTP or ad
hoc mode)..

I was hoping that this deduction was in error, as I'd like a simple
plug-and-play -appliance- (ie: not a PC running
m0n0dd-wrt-open-wap-SupahLinux-badger-potatohead-beta-RC7 or
aforementioned appliance flashed with same so that it's no-longer an
appliance--just another stupid Linux/BSD box) to go from $network1 to
$network2, where neither network is "upstream" from the other.

Hey, it's the 21st century, that just might not be a tall order, but it
sounds like I'm asking for a flying car.

If I want a small (or not-so-small) piece of hardware running a
general-purpose OS so that I can just use a small fraction of its IP
stack, I know where to find that.  I was hoping for something a little
more elegant, given that there seem to be quite a few "wireless routers"
on the market.  But, I guess I can take a dump in a box and sell it in
the electronics stores as "corn flakes", if these toys can get called
"routers".

--
Jonathan Patschke    )   "A man who never dreams goes slowly mad."
Elgin, TX           (      --Thomas Dolby, "Valley of the Mind's Eye"