[geeks] [JuliaSacks930 at hotmail.com: [janglo] INFO4U: My Ipod Broke My Computer]

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Wed Jan 18 15:18:34 CST 2006

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 15:47:16 -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Are you contradicting my statement, or just one small error in the
> statement?

One small error, and one misleading fact ... used to support something
that *comes across* like anti-French prejudice.

> > French law enforces an EU directive that requires volume to be
>
> So like I said, they limit the volume. The details don't really
> matter.

Actually it does make quite a bit of difference ... assuming the
initiative for the EU directive didn't come from the French. Member
countries are obliged to pass laws to implement EU directives ... the
French government didn't have much choice with it's law except in the
timing (I could of course be wrong in the details, but not in the gist).

> > > The froggies are so lucky to have a government which loves them
> > > so...

This is the bit that comes across as being a bit anti-french ... when it
wasn't French in origin, and is a somewhat sensible measure at least in
intent.

> > The US also has limits on how loud things can be; the EU just has
>
> Cars in the US market have governors, but I've yet to see anything
> like that on audio equipment.

I don't know of anything limiting audio output of products in the US and
you're in a better position to judge, but there's certainly restrictions
on the sound levels at US workplaces. Which is what I meant by
differences between the EU and the US.

> > Don't let your prejudices cloud your thinking.
>
> I don't.  You don't do it either.

I try not to, but some of us have less that perfect hearing caused by
youthful stupidity.