[geeks] Reliance Cardpaks

James Fogg James at jdfogg.com
Sat Jan 14 09:37:54 CST 2006

> Anyone have any info or knowledge on Reliance Electronic Cardpaks ?
>
> I emptied a huge Reliance motor controller cabinet for $20
> today. Got about 24 of these cardpaks. Power supplies,
> amplifiers, square wave generators, you name it.
>
> A quick search seems to return that some people want ALOT of
> money for these little things:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/RELIANCE-ELECTRIC-0-49009-12-NIB-04900912_
> W0QQitemZ757810
> 7934QQcategoryZ97184QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>
> So what were these huge Reliance motor controllers used for?
> The one I emptied was about 12 ft H x 12 ft W x 4 ft D.
> Anybody have any info? I wonder what the resale is on these..
> maybe I should try to sell them to that guy whos trying to
> get $6000 for one.

Sounds like PLC's to me (Programmable Logic Controllers). Simple ladder
logic and smallish CPU and lots of custom buss mounted interface
modules. Made by about a dozen companies. Used in machine control for
repetitive tasks (not usually programmed very often).

Not usually worth a lot of money because people don't use them outside
of a corporate manufacturing floor, and corps don't buy used.