[geeks] Garage band??

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sun Jan 15 15:42:50 CST 2006

Hi,

My son Mikey who has a "big brother" who is a music student. He does not have
a computer and Mikey is teaching him how to play games on his PC.

We also have an iMac DV (450mHz G3) that collects dust in his room. I
bought it to try and interest his younger brother Danny who would be a
Mac kind of guy, but he really has no interest in doing anything on the
computer except occasionaly playing a game with Mikey.

Mikey's "big brother" is a music student and has several keyboards and
a real piano. I was thinking that he might be enticed to get interested
in the iMac (and therefore so would Mikey) if I got him a copy of GarageBand.

I had a Casio midi keyboard and an Apple II clone with a midi card
circa 1985. I found that with the keyboard and software, all I lacked
was talent. :-)

So I would be no help to them.

Is there anyone out there who is a GarageBand user who could give me
a reasonable idea of how this would work out? Are there "GarageBand for
Dummies" books? downloadable tutorials?

Keep in mind that Mikey knows how to use the Mac, but knows nothing about
music, while his "big brother" knows almost nothing.

Would it run on a 450 mHz G4? It has 320m of RAM, how much does it need?

Thanks in advance,

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
The trouble with being a futurist is that when people get around to believing
you, it's too late. We lost. Google 2,000,000:Hams 0.