[geeks] And The Linux Weenies Wonder Why They Aren't Mainstream...

Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 patrick at zill.net
Tue Feb 28 20:35:41 CST 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 19:28, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
> > This is Microsoft's fault, not Linux or OpenOffice's fault, or whoever
> > you are really ranting at.
>
> It's Microsoft's fault that OpenOffice claims to be able to open Office
> documents, but, in reality, cannot usefully do so?

It can in fact open almost all the Office documents I have received in the course of my consulting business, from multiple clients, most of whom use Office 97 through Office 2003 and who do not even know that Solaris or Linux exists.

There are Office 97 docs that will not reliably load in Office 2003.

MS has continually changed their document formats for the exact purpose of forcing upgrades on their users and breaking 3rd-party import filters... but you knew that already.

> Hey!  I can sell cars!  My first model is the Korvette.  It's just like
> a Chevrolet Corvette, except it's made out of a shipping crate and uses
> a pallet skid instead of wheels.  It's Chevrolet's fault that the
> Korvette can't do 180mph!  But at least it's free, so you don't have to
> give money to an evil corporation.

I think your rant/reality quotient is out of whack.

I suggest a forced install of Windows 98 with Office 2002 on a Compaq Presario, followed by 12 or more hours of bed rest.  Drink plenty of fluids.

--Patrick