[geeks] And The Linux Weenies Wonder Why They Aren't Mainstream...

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Feb 28 21:17:11 CST 2006

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 wrote:

> It can in fact open almost all the Office documents I have received in
> the course of my consulting business, from multiple clients,

I guess I'm just lucky. I've gotten two or three documents in the last 4
years that opened properly in StarOffice/OpenOffice.  The rest that I
tried to open (probably 20 or 30) were either so poorly mis-re-formatted
that they were useless or crashed StarOffice/OpenOffice.

> MS has continually changed their document formats for the exact
> purpose of forcing upgrades on their users and breaking 3rd-party
> import filters... but you knew that already.

But of course.  I'm not saying they're perfect or even a Good Company.
I'm saying that the clones of their crap are even crappier.

> I think your rant/reality quotient is out of whack.

Oh noes!

--
Jonathan Patschke    )   "Pain and misery always hit the spot,
Elgin, TX           (     knowing you can't lose what you haven't got."