[geeks] Sun Fire V210: A New Low in SPARC Servers?

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Thu Feb 2 17:53:05 CST 2006

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 05:46:45PM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> > They are damn nice machines. With recent firmware on the ALOM (1.5 or
> > later - the current is 1.5.3) they are pretty much rock-solid, and the
> > systems themselves are great.  Only real problem with the V210 is the
> > single power-supply....
>
> Are there power supply issues?  or are you referring to redundancy..

Redundancy.  The power supplies are no more or less reliable than you'd
expect for such a system, but as with any single-PS machines, if/when
the PS goes you've lost the entire system.

> The current SunHELP machine (E420R, quad 450/2M CPUs, 4G RAM) is
> decent enough, but I'd like something faster (and I've only got
> two 18G drives in it).

420's are nice, although they have their own PS issues (in this case
they have two, but you can't monitor from the OS if they fail, which
is just stupidity for a server...)

  Scott