[geeks] Sun Fire V210: A New Low in SPARC Servers?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Thu Feb 2 17:46:45 CST 2006

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 10:42:47AM +1100, Scott Howard wrote:
> There vast majority of the issues with ALOMs are caused by older
> firmware. Presuming you've got an OS you can normally just reset them
> from Solaris, or worst case just remove the power cables from the
> machine (powering it off won't help as they run on house-keeping
> voltage).

Tried resetting from the OS, no go.

> There were a few machines with dodgy resistor packs on the serial lines,
> but most/all of these were replaced as a part of replacing all
> motheboards with teh dodgy BGE chips on them.

Unfortunately all the V210s we have with issues are out of warranty. 8-(

> They are damn nice machines. With recent firmware on the ALOM (1.5 or
> later - the current is 1.5.3) they are pretty much rock-solid, and the
> systems themselves are great.  Only real problem with the V210 is the
> single power-supply....

Are there power supply issues?  or are you referring to redundancy..

The current SunHELP machine (E420R, quad 450/2M CPUs, 4G RAM) is
decent enough, but I'd like something faster (and I've only got
two 18G drives in it).

Bill

--
Bill Bradford