[geeks] Sun Fire V210: A New Low in SPARC Servers?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Feb 2 18:00:18 CST 2006

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006, Scott Howard wrote:

> There vast majority of the issues with ALOMs are caused by older
> firmware. Presuming you've got an OS you can normally just reset them
> from Solaris, or worst case just remove the power cables from the
> machine (powering it off won't help as they run on house-keeping
> voltage).

I haven't tried using the button on the front panel yet, but the
machines that are seizing up never boot.

>> Let me know what you find out / how things end up, as I was considering
>> a V210 as the next sunhelp.org server if I can get one donated (as I
>> cant afford an X2100).
>
> They are damn nice machines. With recent firmware on the ALOM (1.5 or
> later - the current is 1.5.3) they are pretty much rock-solid, and the
> systems themselves are great.

All these systems are running ALOM 1.5.1 or 1.5.3.

Maybe we got a batch of lemons, but I'm nervous about trusting these
machines.

--
Jonathan Patschke    )   "A man who never dreams goes slowly mad."
Elgin, TX           (      --Thomas Dolby, "Valley of the Mind's Eye"