[geeks] A new Assualt on Net Freedom

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Apr 24 23:55:41 CDT 2006

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 10:35:43PM +0100, Mike Meredith wrote:

> Whilst I may disagree with you on whether Verizon has the right to do
> what they wish when it comes to blocking,

The problem with that is that Verizon is an ISP that wants to play by
the telco rules. A telephone company (in the U.S.) is automaticly
given "common carrier" status.

A common carrier must serve all customers. If you call a subscriber to their
service, they must forward the call. For example, if a user of Mike's
telephone company of Baton-on-the-head Louisiana calls a Verizon customer
in Philly, then Verizon must complete the call.

There even is a system for paying for the call, a long distance carrier
charges Mike's Telephone company for the connection to the system and
the long distance carrier pays Verizon for the connection to their network.

In the Internet system, you pay your ISP for the connection to the Internet
and Verizon pays "theirs".

As for their servers being private property, sure they are, and I don't disagree
with that. What I disagree with is their claim of "common carrier" status and
then preventing the lawfull use of their network.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838