[geeks] A new Assualt on Net Freedom

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Tue Apr 25 09:29:12 CDT 2006

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 10:35:43PM +0100, Mike Meredith wrote:
>>Whilst I may disagree with you on whether Verizon has the right to do
>>what they wish when it comes to blocking,
>
> The problem with that is that Verizon is an ISP that wants to play by
> the telco rules. A telephone company (in the U.S.) is automaticly
> given "common carrier" status.
[...]
> As for their servers being private property, sure they are, and I don't disagree
> with that. What I disagree with is their claim of "common carrier" status and
> then preventing the lawfull use of their network.

That's just it, though.  It appears they're *not* trying to claim common
carrier status.  If they were claiming common-carrier status, they
wouldn't be allowed to block anyone.  They're trying to pick and choose
a-la-carte from a bit of this, and a bit of that, and a bit of the
other, trying to cherrypick the sections of regulation that benefit them
most.