[geeks] A new Assualt on Net Freedom

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Sun Apr 23 19:16:16 CDT 2006

" From: Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net>
"
" Sandwich Maker wrote:
" > " From: Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net>
" > " And the bastards have us over a barrel; we get our broadband Internet
" > " access through Verizon, or we don't get broadband.  Period.
" >
" > actually they don't.  those of us in the northeast can get broadband
" > from galaxy internet services; see galaxydsl.com.  ironically they
" > bulk-purchase verizon dsl loop...
"
" Oh, I could get broadband from any number of different providers,
" including Speakeasy ...  if it wasn't that we're on a remote terminal
" unit to which Verizon is under no legal obligation whatsoever to provide
" access to third-party CLECs.  We tried to re-establish my Speakeasy
" service when we moved here.  We couldn't; Verizon wouldn't let them.

ah.  that bites.  a nasty little legal loophole...