[geeks] A new Assualt on Net Freedom

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Sun Apr 23 16:48:03 CDT 2006

Sandwich Maker wrote:
> " From: Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net>
> " And the bastards have us over a barrel; we get our broadband Internet
> " access through Verizon, or we don't get broadband.  Period.
>
> actually they don't.  those of us in the northeast can get broadband
> from galaxy internet services; see galaxydsl.com.  ironically they
> bulk-purchase verizon dsl loop...

Oh, I could get broadband from any number of different providers,
including Speakeasy ...  if it wasn't that we're on a remote terminal
unit to which Verizon is under no legal obligation whatsoever to provide
access to third-party CLECs.  We tried to re-establish my Speakeasy
service when we moved here.  We couldn't; Verizon wouldn't let them.