[geeks] A new Assualt on Net Freedom

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Sun Apr 23 15:25:37 CDT 2006

" From: Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net>
"
" Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
" > Under the guise of controlling SPAM, they have blacklisted (almost) everyone
" > and expect you to "opt in". This is really annoying as why should I go to
" > their web site and give them information and hope that they read it
" > and let me send email to their customers.
" >
" > What is really disturbing is the following at the bottom of the page:
" >
" >  "Verizon Online reserves the right to restrict access to or from any
" >  domain provided at its sole discretion. The information provided to
" >  Verizon Online must be wholly correct or the request may be rejected. We
" >  cannot guarantee that we will be able to provide a solution that enables
" >  you to send or receive e-mail from a restricted source."
"
" And the bastards have us over a barrel; we get our broadband Internet
" access through Verizon, or we don't get broadband.  Period.

actually they don't.  those of us in the northeast can get broadband
from galaxy internet services; see galaxydsl.com.  ironically they
bulk-purchase verizon dsl loop...

for $30/mo you can get 768/128 dsl, domain/sendmail support, and voip
with 120min/mo - and thanks to number portability legislation, you can
roll your verizon number to galaxy and drop verizon completely.  i'm
[still] wiring my house right now...  the zoom adsl/voip modem they
give you has 4 network ports as well as a phone jack, so i'm putting
it in my basement at the demarc and adding a jack panel.
--
moveon.org has waded into the 'net neutrality' fight, and you can see
their argument complete with footnotes at

i signed it.

aol - partner with verizon in the legislation - is also getting
shirty, blocking one of the other lists i'm on completely, because 3
out of 230 aol subscribers complained.  i hear they're being very
high-handed with small domains generally, though they haven't blocked
me - yet.