[geeks] Printers, postscript, networking...

Thu Apr 20 19:40:44 CDT 2006

> The LJ series [of laser printers] is also getting old now, and it is
> hard to find one in good condition.  I see a lot of them for low $$$
> or free, but most are pretty badly beaten up and would need repair.

I'd say, rather, that it's hard to find one *available* in good
condition.  The oens that are still in good condition are, I suspect,
generally owned by people from whom you'll get them only as bequests in
their wills. :-)

I know my LJ IIISi is proving itself to be a real Timex.  Toner carts
are not cheap, but I seem to need them at a rate of like one every few
years, so that's no biggie.  And it's designed for *much* heavier load
than I put on it - this is the sort of printer used in environments
where daily paper consumption is measured in reams, or even boxes, not
sheets.

I even had an electrolytic cap go bad and damage one of the PC boards.
But (reinforcing its Timex image :) I left it on and let the short burn
itself out, then put in a replacement cap (the old one was in good
enough shape to read its markings), and it's Just Worked ever since.
Despite a little cavity burnt in the PC board.  There must have been no
etch runs in the part eaten away - probably just power and ground
planes....

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca