[geeks] Printers, postscript, networking...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Apr 20 21:52:58 CDT 2006

Thu, 20 Apr 2006 @ 20:40 -0400, der Mouse said:

> > The LJ series [of laser printers] is also getting old now, and it is
> > hard to find one in good condition.  I see a lot of them for low $$$
> > or free, but most are pretty badly beaten up and would need repair.
>
> I'd say, rather, that it's hard to find one *available* in good
> condition.

I thought that was context-evident... :/

> The oens that are still in good condition are, I suspect,
> generally owned by people from whom you'll get them only as bequests in
> their wills. :-)

True.

Although, once in awhile a business will just arbitrarily dump old
equipment that is otherwise in fine condition.

I seem never to be there when it happens...

> I know my LJ IIISi is proving itself to be a real Timex.

Several of the LJ series were like that.

There used to be a good reseller that sold reconditioned HP lasers, somewhere
in Virginia, USA, but I can't seem to locate them again.

> Toner carts are not cheap,

That's one problem with an old printer.

> but I seem to need them at a rate of like one every few
> years, so that's no biggie.  And it's designed for *much* heavier load
> than I put on it - this is the sort of printer used in environments
> where daily paper consumption is measured in reams, or even boxes, not
> sheets.

Most good laser printers do more than I'll ever ask of them.

Even the HP 1320 (PostScript, duplex, small) is rated at 10K or more pages per
month.

I bought 15K pages of paper years ago and still have over half the box.

> I even had an electrolytic cap go bad and damage one of the PC boards.
> But (reinforcing its Timex image :) I left it on and let the short burn
> itself out, then put in a replacement cap (the old one was in good
> enough shape to read its markings), and it's Just Worked ever since.
> Despite a little cavity burnt in the PC board.  There must have been no
> etch runs in the part eaten away - probably just power and ground
> planes....

The DEClaser I have had a dirty and broken glass plate, the one that separates
the laser and mirror from the toner compartment. I could not get glass cut
that thin, so I hacked in a 1/16" piece which did the job for the time I used
it.

Not an easy printer to take apart and repair though.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The strength of the Constitution lies
entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it.  Only if every