[geeks] Printers, postscript, networking...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Apr 20 18:38:38 CDT 2006

Thu, 20 Apr 2006 @ 16:36 -0400, Nadine said:

> Phil's comment about the LJ4M has merit, but those definitely are not
> small footprint printers.

The LJ series is also getting old now, and it is hard to find one in good
condition. I see a lot of them for low $$$ or free, but most are pretty badly
beaten up and would need repair.

It might be worthwhile to buy an LJ from an HP reseller that refurbishes nice
ones.

I have been looking at the HP 1320. $300, 14x14 footprint, duplexor, and has
PostScript. It seems sturdy enough, and has a monthly duty cycle greater than
what I usually print in a year.

Anyone care to comment on them?

I am also looking at the Brother 5250DN, but Brother lasers look flimsy, and
it has a separate drum and toner, and I too have heard of problems. Also, the
brother uses 80watts on stanby, and 600watts when printing.  The prints
look nice though, and it is fast.

The HP 1320 is rated a 8watts and 345watts respectively.

I've had a hell of a time finding a laser printer that is small enough
and has decent quality and features.

There are a ton of crappy ones, and the good ones are still fairly expensive.
The 1320 is a rare exception in terms of price and features, so I'm
hoping it is a good buy.

Still doing some research before I make a purchase.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Star Wars Moral Number 17: Teddy bears are
dangerous in herds."]