[geeks] Printers, postscript, networking...

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 15:36:10 CDT 2006

On 4/20/06, nate at portents.com <nate at portents.com> wrote:
> There are non-networkable color lasers that have additional features like
> duplexing for not much more (like the Samsung CLP-510, again without a
> rasterizing engine), but I just don't think that idea makes much sense,
> it's too dependant on vendor-supplied drivers or open-source workarounds.
> It probably makes more sense for me to look at black and white lasers.
> Does anyone have any experience with BR-Script3, Brother's PostScript 3
> emulation?  It's available on printers as inexpensive as their HL-5250DN
> ($225), which also has ethernet and duplexing.

I've read bad things about Brother's imaging drums going belly up in
short order.  We had a fax/laser printer that did ok, but it didn't
get heavy use.  It's still in storage.

Phil's comment about the LJ4M has merit, but those definitely are not
small footprint printers.

> Sticking with a black and white laser would free up funds and space for
> something like the Canon SELPHY CP510 or Kodak EasyShare 500, both of
> which should produce longer lasting, better looking, and cheaper prints
> than a lot of inkjets would, from what I can gather.  (I figure I don't
> need to do any color printing over my home network.)

I bought a Samsung 4100 (scanner/printer combo) and hung it off the OS
X box.  I'm fairly certain the same ppd could be slapped onto a Linux
system (I remember from the old lpr days back at $job-5 grabbing the
Mac .ppd for a given printer and tossing them into Solaris, but this
could be my swiss cheese memory lying).  I believe there's a CUPS
driver for it as well.  It cost me <$100 after rebate.

I'd think your best bet would be to go troll through the
linuxprinting.org pages and see what's out there, and work backwards.