[geeks] Help Needed: Meeting recording options?

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 09:28:42 CDT 2005

On 9/29/05, Mike Hebel <nimitz at nimitzbrood.com> wrote:

> Due to Sor-Beans-Ugly (Sar Baines Oxley) my $boss has to start recording
> certain status meetings for the company.
>

> I'm of the opinion that he needs something like a Marantz 660 with the
> conference mics but that price is a little steep to him.
>

> Anybody have an preference as to recorders for meetings? Looking for
> something that is digital and can hear a room full of people clearly.

External mic required on those "take notes" type of recorders, or for
anything you'd find at a national chain like Best Buy, Circuit City or
Fry's.
I loved those PZM microphones for that, but Radio Shack no longer carries
them. They were manufactured by Crown. Crown is still around:
http://www.crownaudio.com/mic_web/pzm.htm

I'm sure they are expensive. I converted all my R-S PZMs to XLR balanced and
I kind of regret I didn't leave one w/ 1/4" to use with a portable recorder.

Radio-Shack does have something for conference room that is cheap ($40) that
might work:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTL
G%5F007%5F002%5F007%5F001&product%5Fid=33%2D3022

Francois