[geeks] Supressing output of /etc/issue

Jeff Cole jeff at flambe.org
Wed Sep 28 14:04:09 CDT 2005

Here at $work we have an rsync job that syncs web content from one
server to it's counterpart in the disaster recovery facility. The rsync
actually runs over ssh, so, when it connects, the contents of /etc/issue
are displayed. Since this is running as a cron job, every time the cron
job runs, it generates an email with the contents of /etc/issue from the
remote server.

Is there any way to supress the output of /etc/issue by passing a flag
to rsync or ssh or something? Checking around google and such hasn't
yielded helpful results. I have tried sending stdout of the cronjob to
/dev/null, but, that didn't help. I'm assuming that the output of
/etc/issue is to stderr or something. Sending stderr to /dev/null is a
nogo as seeing error messages would be helpful.

Running on Solaris 8

--
Your Excuse Is: The UPS doesn't have a battery backup.