[geeks] Professional. Do Not Attempt.

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Tue Sep 27 23:37:33 CDT 2005

> CSI *IS* fiction.
>
> Ask any cop who does this kind of work in real life, and he'll tell
> you that CSI is pure fantasy.  It's good that they show some real
> techniques, and how much can be done, but bad that they show it as a
> relatively easy and convienient process.
>
> Everything that happens in CSI is almost magic, including a remarkable
> lack of things like lab failure, legal barriers, and the mind numbing
> tedium of real life forensic work.
>
> Most cops I've heard talk about the show are also offended at the
> grossly unprofessional behavior you see on the show.  Yes it does happen
> sometimes in real life, but not only an almost daily basis like it does
> in the show.
>
> Of course, a show that protrayed real police work would also probably be
> many episodes of boredom, and brief episodes of pure hell, just like the
> real job.
>
> --
> shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Consulting wouldn't be what it is today
> without Microsoft Windows" -- Chris Pinkham]

I agree with you on most points but from listening to officers on what would
be a "special victums unit" (taken from another show) it is more accurate
than you would say even with the major flaws.  Forunately, the "bad guys"
watch it too and think that the cops can get evidence that really is
impossible to obtain and confess.  They said Law and Order: SVU is a
lot more accurate in spite of the time compression.

Bob
 - "Intel Inside", is that a warning label?