[geeks] Supressing output of /etc/issue

Mike Meredith mike at redhairy1.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 28 14:37:17 CDT 2005

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 15:04:09 -0400, Jeff Cole wrote:
> time the cron job runs, it generates an email with the contents of
> /etc/issue from the remote server.
>
> Is there any way to supress the output of /etc/issue by passing a flag
> to rsync or ssh or something? Checking around google and such hasn't

There's another solution ... write a generic wrapper script that records
the output into a log file for that script somewhere
(/data/logs/$scriptname), and emails you if the script fails ... either
with the contents of the log file, or just saying the script has failed.

I've used something like this to reduce the number of "this script ran
ok with this output" type emails from something like 200 a day to about
10.