[geeks] DSL and a second phone line

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Oct 13 18:36:21 CDT 2005

On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 06:20:25PM -0500, Brian Dunbar wrote:

> The new jack is using another two wires in the same run.  After my
> partner hooked up his phone to the new line .. it's got a ton of noise
> on the line - to the point where you can't hear the other party over the
> loud metallic HUMMMMMMMMM sound.

Two posibilites. If the new line is also a DSL line, someone forgot
to install the filter on the voice side.

The other is just bad instalation.

<start "shaggy dog" story>

I live in a ground floor apartment on a hill with a small office down
the hill under our balcony. The owners of the second floor apartment
decided that our grape arbor was encroaching on their windows, so they
hired a butcher with a saw to "trim" it. He cut almost all of it down,
and the grape vine still has not recovered after almost 4 years.
Meanwhile he cut a voice line that went to the office.

When I called BEZEQ for service they came out. At the time I had a frame
relay line going down to the office. Voice lines are wired on the two middle
wires (3&4) of a phone jack, frame relay lines on the outside two (1&6).

Not hearing any tone on the voice part of the line, and not bothering to
read the "kav f/r" and a line number on the jack, he disconnected the
frame relay line and connected the voice line to it.

<end "shaggy dog" story>

I knew a line supervisor for New Jersey Bell, a long time ago. He was
sent new employees to work for him and he could choose weather they were
installers or repairmen. He had a simple test. If a candidate could tell
if a customer was able to "seize" (the term Bell used) dial tone by
simply picking up the phone, he would make them a repairman. Many of the
candidates failed the test. :-(

I would just assume the BEZEQ installer was an idiot.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (077)-424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Support the growing boycott of Google by radio users and hobbyists.
It's starting to work, Yahoo has surpassed Google.