[geeks] DSL and a second phone line

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at liftport.com
Thu Oct 13 18:20:25 CDT 2005

Shop has a DSL line - phone and data are on the same 2 pair.  The run
back from the jack the punchdown for the building has 8 wires all told.

A second line is ordered (two business are sharing the space - the
fellow comes out does the install and leaves.

The new jack is using another two wires in the same run.  After my
partner hooked up his phone to the new line .. it's got a ton of noise
on the line - to the point where you can't hear the other party over the
loud metallic HUMMMMMMMMM sound.

Is the DSL in the same run - but another wire pair - to blame?  I mean
generally because I know y'all can't cover over and poke at the wiring . .

--
Brian Dunbar
System Administrator

brian.dunbar at liftport.com
aim: bdunbar1967

this email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private

Remember.
But move forward, too. Light a candle, yes. But also drive a rivet.
~Lileks