[geeks] [rescue] Video card request

Tue Nov 29 23:06:30 CST 2005

> Also, how come the graphics still have not shown what everyone really
> wants to see:

>     DESTRUCTABLE ENVIRONMENT

Most briefly, because it's *hard*.

If you can blow a hole in that wall, that means you can get to the
other side.  And that means someone has to design and build what's on
the other side.

Even if you can just blow a hole you can see through, someone still has
to design and build enough to look at.

Of approximately every wall in the game.  Including the walls on the
other sides of *those* rooms.

This increases the effort required by *at least* an order of magnitude.

And that's not to mention all the other costs it involves - in ways
like the game engine needing to be able to swap in the polygons for all
that space....

> Hello?  Game companies?  I *need* to blow stuff up.  No more of this
> bullets hitting things and making little flashes in GI-Joe style.

If you think you have a way to do it, start a game company!  Succeed
and lots of people will buy your games.  I know I sure would.

> The hell with pretty graphics, I want to see things that look *REAL*
> for a change.

That's even harder.  It means creating things on the fly for stuff like
pieces of glass ('cause real glass doesn't break exactly the same way
as the last glass you broke).  It means keeping objects around for
bodies and rubble and such.

It also means spending weeks or months in the hospital healing after
you've been injured (no more just running over a health pack).  It also
means no more fighting at full effectiveness when one more splinter in
your toe will kill you.

It also means AI-complete behaviour out of other characters in the
game, and that is *really* hard.  Solve that one and most of the
computer world wants to talk to you.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca