[geeks] Finally! A USB "Model M"

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 17:53:11 CST 2005

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
>
>>Unicomp has a USB version of their EnduraPro keyboard that will start
>>shipping this month:
>>
>>    http://www.pckeyboard.com/ep104.html
>

> It doesn't say it uses buckling-spring technology, and the shape of it
> is horrible.

Look in the online store.  It indeed does have buckling-spring
keyswitches.  And it's the same shape as the Model M, minus the
"surround" area around the keyboard proper.

> It does weigh 3.6 pounds, so at least it is heavier.

It's still significantly lighter than my made-in-1987 Model M, which is
more than five pounds.

>>Pity that it's not yet available with the Correct Key Layout.  I'll
>>probably get one in any case and just use xmodmap.
>
> No Model M I ever had used the correct key layout either.
>
> Pity too, since I rather it didn't have the "double-shelf" capslock.
> Sometimes my pinky dives into the "hole" there and it is annoying.

I don't think you can get it without the "double-shelf" but you can get
brand new PS/2 Model Ms with the Correct Key Layout(tm).  They're
available from Unicomp custom-programmed that way.  They say so right on
their website.

Peace...  Sridhar