[geeks] Finally! A USB "Model M"

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Nov 5 19:44:23 CST 2005

Sat, 05 Nov 2005 @ 18:53 -0500, Sridhar Ayengar said:

> Look in the online store.  It indeed does have buckling-spring
> keyswitches.  And it's the same shape as the Model M, minus the
> "surround" area around the keyboard proper.

I tried to find that but couldn't see it anywhere.

I don't like the trimmed down version.

I have a really hard time finding keyboards I like.

Even some of the newer keyboards which have features I might like for a
gaming/media desktop, have horrible key switches.

Also, have you seen how much the prices of keyboards have risen in the
last couple of years, with no improvement in key switches?

A Microsoft "Executive" with switches just as crappy as a $10 special is
$100 in CompUSA. Wassup with that?

Well, OK, the keycaps are thicker and heavier, but its still a rubber
membrane keyboard...

> > It does weigh 3.6 pounds, so at least it is heavier.
>
> It's still significantly lighter than my made-in-1987 Model M, which is
> more than five pounds.

My 1996 Model M weighs 4.5 pounds.

> I don't think you can get it without the "double-shelf" but you can get
> brand new PS/2 Model Ms with the Correct Key Layout(tm).  They're
> available from Unicomp custom-programmed that way.  They say so right on
> their website.

I know, but it was a choice between $50 and $10 each on eBay for brand
new Model Ms.

I'd love to have one, but the non-shelf switch just wasn't worth the $40
at the time.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["People should have access to the data which
you have about them.  There should be a process for them to challenge any