[geeks] Home Wiring - thoughts?

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Wed May 11 07:23:09 CDT 2005

On Wed, 11 May 2005, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> - at least two twisted pair runs to each bedroom, the family room,
> kitchen counter, upstairs office and playroom

> - two telco lines to each bedroom (most are already wired for two
> lines), playroom, upstairs office

> - dedicated cable TV run to each of the above not already wired
> (bedrooms, etc.)

Looks good. Two is one, one is none. At least with CAT5 you can get away
with running two 100Mbit connections in the same cable. That helps in the
crunch.

> Thoughts, suggestions, things I've missed? I'm curious what folks here would
> do, short of "Fiber To The Bedroom" ;^)

Yeah, fiber everywhere you can afford to put it in at. For the most part,
once it's terminated to a wall plate, assuming you don't destroy wall
plates or connectors sticking out of wall plates, it's paid for. It's
converting back and forth between media that costs you so much.

I remember back in the early 1990s when everyone was deploying 10Base-2
and complaining about the cost of fiber. Then I went to work for an
established company and they had fiber in there that had been there since
probably 1992 and hadn't needed to do anything to upgrade from 10Mbit to
1Gbit except change a patch cable.

> Oh, by the way, it LOOKs like I will be in the Verizon FiOS Fiber To The
> Premises rollout in Mercer County after I move... I am soooooo happy
> about that ;^) (see

Trent Reznor is from Mercer Co, PA. FWThat'sW.

--
Kris Kirby <kris at catonic.net>
                       "BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!"