[geeks] Home Wiring - thoughts?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed May 11 06:27:56 CDT 2005

I am preparing to move to a new house in a few months, and the finances are
such that I have gotten approval to "wire" the house professionally* - my
early plan is to run:

 - at least two twisted pair runs to each bedroom, the family room, kitchen
counter, upstairs office and playroom
 - two telco lines to each bedroom (most are already wired for two lines),
playroom, upstairs office
 - dedicated cable TV run to each of the above not already wired (bedrooms,
etc.)

I am envisioning two data networks in the house, one "data" (desktops,
laptops) and the other "media" (TiVo, Replay, VoIP) -both will be 100
Mb/sec, but I will probably run Cat6 for future capacity. I may add a third
network for my wireless APs.

I plan to have a little patch panel in the basement, and I will use a couple
small 8 port cisco unmanaged switches I got off eBay for each of my
networks.

Thoughts, suggestions, things I've missed? I'm curious what folks here would
do, short of "Fiber To The Bedroom" ;^)

Oh, by the way, it LOOKs like I will be in the Verizon FiOS Fiber To The
Premises rollout in Mercer County after I move... I am soooooo happy about
that ;^) (see
http://www22.verizon.com/fiosforhome/channels/fios/root/package.asp )

*Professionally means I can hire someone to put actual wall plates in the
various rooms and snake wires through the walls