[geeks] low profile null modem adapters

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed May 11 13:12:03 CDT 2005

James Fogg wrote:
>>I used to have some low profile null modem adapters, and they
>>seem to have disappeared.
>

> I've never seen null adapters the size you describe, only gender
> changers.

I used to have a few very small ones.

I just think the normal ones are too bulky.

> A good way to approach this is to use cat-5 cabling, RJ45's and the
> RJ45-DB9 or RJ45-DB25 adapter "hoods". The hoods come unpinned and you
> simply plug each pin/wire into the desired spot on the DB side. This
> gives you a ready source of cabling, allows you to use structured wiring
> and patch panels, and the null modem issue becomes a non-issue.

Yeah, except that the PM25 already has 8 DB25 cables coming out of it
using the centronics cable fan, so this would just add more clutter.

Your idea would be great if the expander used RJ45 cables.

I could make one, but rather stick with what I have.