[geeks] Mail relay

Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 patrick at zill.net
Mon Jul 18 07:48:38 CDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 08:02, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Ultimately, it will be a good thing for DSL and Cable data service deployment - their investment won't support their competitors efforts. Telcos today have to make their network elements available *at a discount* to their competitors, at a price set by the ruling PUC/state regulatory authority...

Thing is, the tariff rates are still high enough that in most cases the telco makes obscene amounts of money.... case in point, T1 fees, even at the cheapest I have ever heard them being ($110 per month for some mammoth deal that UUnet put together) are still what, 7 times the amount charged for the same copper as a voice line?

Get this:  almost all "T1" lines are now provisioned with SDSL equipment ... so the same line that carries Verizon's $29.95 per month DSL service is the same one that they get to charge $599+ per month for when it is provisioned as a T1.

Argh...