[geeks] CP1500 Marathon box...

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Tue Sep 28 18:08:49 CDT 2004

Matthew Poertner wrote:

>I picked up this "thing" on ebay a while back and it's been working
>great but I want to know if I can do more with it.
>
>It's labled "Marathon" and "Exodus NetSec".  The guy I bought it from
>said Marathon made it for Exodus and Exodus has gone out of business.
>It's a CP1500 (Compact PCI form factor) in a little box with 2 SCA
>bays, a console port and 1 ethernet port - That's it.
>
>What I'd like to know is if this CP1500 board will fit in another box,
>what kind of box, and will it cost me a fortune?  The box has one
>additional cPCI slot on it but the backplane doesn't seem to match the
>cards I see on ebay.

I've got one of these too, and  it's great, except i think the power
supplies are too small for the seagate cheetah's that i wanted to put in
it.  You could get another chassis, but it will probably cost you quite
a bit.  It also has two cPCI slots empty in it, not just one (at least,
mine has two).  What cards on ebay do you not think match it?

>I'd like to get external SCSI so I can hook up a cdrom drive to
>install from instead of jumpstarting it.  Additional ethernet or
>serial would be nice.

You can get cPCI zynx quad-ethernet cards off of ebay pretty cheaply
from time to time.  It won't be worth the money/effort to get external
SCSI, and besides, jumpstarting is a great way to go!

    -Dan Sikorski