[geeks] Sun v40z server - any hands on experience ?

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 15:58:26 CDT 2004

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 06:31:30 +1000, Scott Howard <scott at doc.net.au> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 10:55:14AM -0400, Michael Horton wrote:
> The Windows certification has nothing to do with the settlement - it was
> happening before that occured.

Same with the V65x, V60x.

> It was done because customers asked for it. Most customers want a
> fall-back so that if Solaris/Linux on these machines "doesn't work"
> then they can re-deploy the machines into their Windows environment.

Ah, you must not be familiar with the bureaucracy in american
businesses. It's amazing how much easier it is to get approval if you
can say "it runs windows". Beside, it's better to have racks full of
Sun servers (even if some are running windows) than full of Dells...

> (I'm not sure that any have actually done this, or if their Windows
> admins would like the idea, but it's what customer have said they want).

Actually, our Windows people *love* the V65x and V20z. Dont have to
reflash the bios 7 times if you need support etc. We had a fax server
that needed replacement. It was slated to be a Dell server and some
commercial software. I volunteered one of my V65x and installed
Hylafax (there was a problem compiling it on Sol x86 due to it using
register names in the code as variables - gcc didn't like that -
latest cvs now has the fix that I posted on the solaris-x86 list).

Did a demo, it was well received. I even installed windows (I posted
about that at the beginning of the year) and the commercial fax
package on another V65x and it was clear that the solaris x86 box was
sustaining more connections, but the person who admins that box is a
windows person. So they went with the windows box. At least it's not a
Dell...

Now regarding the V20z, these are pretty capable boxes. Cant wait
until Sol 10 x86 64 bit.

Ciao,
Francois