[geeks] Sun v40z server - any hands on experience ?

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Thu Sep 23 15:31:30 CDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 10:55:14AM -0400, Michael Horton wrote:
> sun is selling this on eBay.
> the prices seem to be below the $3k mark.
>
> the machine will run solaris 9 x86, redhat as 3.0, and suse's server os.
> they are also certified to run windows server (2000 or 2003) from what i
> recall of the aftermath of the sun/ms settlement.

The Windows certification has nothing to do with the settlement - it was
happening before that occured.

It was done because customers asked for it. Most customers want a
fall-back so that if Solaris/Linux on these machines "doesn't work"
then they can re-deploy the machines into their Windows environment.
(I'm not sure that any have actually done this, or if their Windows
admins would like the idea, but it's what customer have said they want).

> you can get sun support (which is pretty good from my experience with
> west and east tennessee.

Thank you :)  Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go and fix a broken E10K
for a customer (blah to 6am support calls)

  Scott.