[geeks] Carly Fiorina to enter politics? This nation is doomed...

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Tue Sep 14 02:41:37 CDT 2004

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:28:23 -0400
Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:

> NetBSD is closer to being a "One and Only UNIX" than most anything
> else.
Whom do you tell? I am jkunz (at) NetBSD (dot) org. :-)

> > More and more Linux is becoming a synonym for UNIX.
> > I really dislike this tendency.
> UNIX is an API, toolset, and a set of assumptions and even a few
> codified rules.
\begin{nitpicking}
That is Unix. UNIX is AT&T SysV. ;-)
\end{nitpicking}

> It's not any one specific OS, and certainly not Solaris.
Sure. Unix is more an idea, a paradigm, then a speciffic OS. But this
idea is more and more reduced to Linux. Having more Solaris (AIX, HP-UX,
Tru64, IRIX, ...) around would work against this tendency.

Also common on many product descriptions: "Supports Linux and Unix."
This is the kind of nonsense, that makes me "Grmbl".
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen