[geeks] Carly Fiorina to enter politics? This nation is doomed...

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Sep 9 14:26:29 CDT 2004

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> AMD: Interesting things happening.  AMD is now starting to be the driver
> in the PC industry instead of Intel.  If Intel is not careful, they will
> be creating AMD-compatible CPUs instead of the other way around.

The already are.  Intel's new 64-bit IA32 chips use AMD's extended
instruction set, minus some of the yummy W^X memory protection stuff.

>> Their confusion over what to do with HPUX surely pushed many customers
>> to look at competitor's offerings.
>
> It's happening among Navy and Coast Guard users locally.
> Unfortunatelly, Windows is a frequent/likely replacement.

One has to wonder why they'd go that route, especially now that IBM
seems to have figured out S/390-style partitioning on their new AIX
systems.  AIX and Linux are options there, with up to 10 images per
processor.

Why spend all that time porting Unix software to Windows when other
companies are still committed to making good Unix kit for decades to
come?

--
Jonathan Patschke )
Elgin, TX        (  "Ma'am, I can do anything.  I own a game store."