[geeks] Carly Fiorina to enter politics? This nation is doomed...

Nathan Raymond nate at portents.com
Thu Sep 9 16:23:48 CDT 2004

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> AMD: Interesting things happening.  AMD is now starting to be the driver
> in the PC industry instead of Intel.  If Intel is not careful, they will
> be creating AMD-compatible CPUs instead of the other way around.

AMD is already the leader as far as I'm concerned.  They create x86-64,
Microsoft adopted it, and told Intel that they weren't going to support
another rival x86 64-bit instruction set, so that is what Intel has
adopted.

AMD planned for dual-core with AMD64 from the start, and have already
demoed their dual-core Opteron that will require only a BIOS flash to
support in existing socket 940 boards.  Intel announced their dual-core
well after AMD, and at the IDF they spent most of the time talking about
dual-core Itanium 2, with dual-core P4 and Xeon a footnote.  Without a
point to point bus like Hypertransport, Intel's implimentation is not
going to perform as well as AMD.

Intel had better get their ass in gear, because they are now the follower.

- Nathan