[geeks] Carly Fiorina to enter politics? This nation is doomed...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Sep 9 10:15:03 CDT 2004

Wed, 08 Sep 2004 @ 18:21 -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo said:

> http://www.cfo.com/article.cfm/3124290?f=home_featured
>
> "Losing the HP Way: Two years after Carly Fiorina pulled off a
> transforming merger, Hewlett-Packard looks huge, frail and confused. "

You know... that's exactly how I was thinking of them recently.

They look poised for a big fall to me.

Carly basically set them up to be destroyed.  It's almost like the whole
thing has been planned since DEC's steady fall.

> BTW HP screwed up on dumping not one but two decent CPU architectures,
> PA-Risc and Alpha.  Now the Itanic is sinking, and AMD, UltraSPARC,
> PowerPC will be the winners by default.

What a tragic thing too.  All that effort into Itanic.  Even accounting
for stupidity, I still can't figure out how it happened and what drove
the "leadership" to those decisions.

AMD: Interesting things happening.  AMD is now starting to be the driver
in the PC industry instead of Intel.  If Intel is not careful, they will
be creating AMD-compatible CPUs instead of the other way around.

> Their confusion over what to do with HPUX surely pushed many customers
> to look at competitor's offerings.

It's happening among Navy and Coast Guard users locally.
Unfortunatelly, Windows is a frequent/likely replacement.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["If you tell the truth, you don't have to
remember anything" -- Mark Twain]