[geeks] Just for grins ...

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Tue Sep 7 08:18:00 CDT 2004

" From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
"
" Fri, 03 Sep 2004 @ 09:31 -0500, Bill Bradford said:
"
" > On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 08:51:38AM -0400, Sandwich Maker wrote:
" > > " From: Phil Stracchino <alaric at caerllewys.net>
" > > " I just pulled one of the Barracudas out of its can, and it's an
" > > " ST15150N.
" > > isn't this the 27w heat monster?
" >
" > Yep, burned myself (blistered) on one once, after I stupidly ran it in a
" > SS1 for a couple of hours.
" >
" > Still my favorite 4G SCSI disk of all time though.  rock-solid.
"
" I recently retired a pair of Seagate Hawk 4GB drives.  Hot, noisy... ran
" 24/7 for 7 years.  Working fine when I took them apart to get the shiny
" stuff out.

st15230s?

i'm still running a pair of hawk 4Gs that are at least 7yo, 24x7, and
as quiet as ever.  i chose them b/c they matched the power [~11w] of
sun0424s originally offered with my system.

one oddity though - the fan in my ps failed about a year ago, and one
drive got hot enough to get really mental.  i had to detach its root
partition from my mirror b/c it would hang the system.  and i would
sporadically get soft errs from the rest of the disk, though a few fmt
refreshes with sformat quieted that.

but sometime over the winter the problems stopped completely, and i've
had the mirror back up for over 3 months without a hitch.  could it
have healed itself?