[geeks] Just for grins ...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Sep 7 21:27:31 CDT 2004

Tue, 07 Sep 2004 @ 09:18 -0400, Sandwich Maker said:

> " I recently retired a pair of Seagate Hawk 4GB drives.  Hot, noisy... ran
> " 24/7 for 7 years.  Working fine when I took them apart to get the shiny
> " stuff out.
>
> st15230s?

No idea, they are gone.  I only kept the shiny parts... :)

> i'm still running a pair of hawk 4Gs that are at least 7yo, 24x7, and
> as quiet as ever.  i chose them b/c they matched the power [~11w] of
> sun0424s originally offered with my system.

Noisy compared to the new Barracudas.  I just picked up a Seagate
Barracuda, 40GB IDE interface.  You can't even hear it, and have to work
it hard to even feel the heads move.

Are the new SCSI Barracudas that quiet?

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [governorrhea: a contagious disease that
spreads from the governor of a state downward through other offices and his