[geeks] Gmail's attraction

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Sep 4 09:07:00 CDT 2004

Thu, 02 Sep 2004 @ 18:22 +0000, Lionel Peterson said:

> Email attachements are so convienient in MS Office applications
> (assuming typical users), that there is little motivation to explore
> other options. To be honest, I think the "Network Neighborhood" in
> WinXP is very useful (map to an FTP account, point and click to file
> destination, just like a windows folder), but under utilized. (It will
> remember user-id and passwords, removing the need for sticky notes
> under your desk phone ;^)

I hate how email has become a file transfer system, and wish M$ and
others would educate people on the right ways to do file transfer.

You would think that corporate networks would be set up to give users
alternatives and that the admins would encourage it.

If I were setting up a corporate network, I think I would totally
disable attachments over a certain size, and give them a large sharing
area for file transfers.

I've been amazed at what people do... like drag entire file hierarchies
into an email, or drag their whole drive to a shared SMB folder, etc .

    "I couldn't remember which file it was, so I just sent all of
    them."

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["If you tell the truth, you don't have to
remember anything" -- Mark Twain]