[geeks] Gmail's attraction

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Sep 2 13:22:39 CDT 2004

> From: Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net>
> Date: 2004/09/02 Thu PM 06:02:47 GMT
> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: [geeks] Gmail's attraction

> Come on.  Who is really incapable of all of FTP, HTTP sends, and P2P
> clients?  Maybe a few exceedingly strict corporate networks, but if they
> are that strict, I'd be surprised if they allowed email attachments
> either.

Well, here in "corporate land" I have experienced many folks incapable of FTP, HTTP sends and P2P clients, with the list of reason headed up by a lack of interest (in the sender's part).

Email attachements are so convienient in MS Office applications (assuming typical users), that there is little motivation to explore other options. To be honest, I think the "Network Neighborhood" in WinXP is very useful (map to an FTP account, point and click to file destination, just like a windows folder), but under utilized. (It will remember user-id and passwords, removing the need for sticky notes under your desk phone ;^)