[geeks] Asterisk help

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Fri Oct 22 13:30:26 CDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 02:27:13PM -0400, james wrote:
> Oh, shityah, * all the way. There are FXS gateways (IP in, 24 FXS out) to
> connect "normal" phones to, about $100.00/port. Or the GrandStream phones
> are nice enough for home use. You might want a phone that allows 2 or
> more "lines". GS doesn't do that yet.

Looks like I can get the generic version of the FX100P off eBay for
about $10-15.

Are there any generic/low-end equivalents to the Cisco ATA-186 (IP to
POTS port)?  I'd much rather be able to just go to WalMart to replace a
phone rather than have to order another for $75+. :)

> There's cute things you can do, like tailor Music-On-Hold per person
> (caller ID) or per status (xfers, etc.). Build "don't bother me" lists,
> don't ring certain extensions after xx:xx PM, inject the "dime return tone"
> for the fist moment to drive telemarketers away and integrate call data
> with mysql for more fun with data.

That's the main reason I'm looking at it.  We're currently using
SBC's $50/month "all you can eat" plan - unlimited local+domestic LD.
So, saving money by using VoIP isnt in the equation. :)

Bill

--
bill bradford
austin texas