[geeks] just to stir things up, a few predictions

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Oct 19 12:11:42 CDT 2004

Mon, 18 Oct 2004 @ 14:56 +0000, Lionel Peterson said:

> > 2. Very Few (5-10%) of the absentee ballots will be counted.
>
> Well, I think the majority will be counted, I expect there to be a
> fuss over the "dual voters" (snow birds that live in NY metro area
> during the summer, and winter in FL - there are many folks registered
> to vote in both states, and if they are caught, it is a federal
> crime)...

Do you think they'll actually prosecute anyone?

> > 3. The electoral college will fail Political science 101.
>
> Well, I think the electoral college has a few more years left in it -
> everyone has invested too much time and effort trying to figure out
> how to spin it to their advantage that most are reluctant to change
> it.

That's what keeps a lot of pork and overly-complicated law and
regulations around too: they are too profitable or powerful for certain
people to want to get rid of.

> I want to see a law passed that money rasied inone state has to
> stay/be spent in that state - that would be fun. I feel sorry for the
> "battle ground" states, they are being overwhelmed by advertising
> funded (I assume) by out-of-state contributors...

Personally, I'd like to see an end to PACs, or at least a drastic
curbing, and end to negative advertising, and generally something
like a 99% reduction in the noise level.

I think the elimination of political parties would go a long way toward
achieving that naturally.

At the very least, let's split the presidential ticket and put it back
like it used to be years ago.

> > 6. CBS plauged with with credability problems will drop it's news division
> >    which has NEVER made a profit.
>
> News insn't supposed to make a profit, that's why the FCC requires
> networks to have them (actually, it is a public service requirement,
> but news is the easiest way to satisfy that requirement)...

Also, it generates a lot of ad revenue both directly and indirectly.

News might not be profitable, but using it to keep eyeballs on the
screen is *very* profitable.

> > 8. AT&T will find a memorandum proving that it never actually sold UNIX,
> >    only rented it.
>
> That would be great...

Isn't that what most of the "Endless Copyright Club" wants to claim
anyway?

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [There is a limit to how stupid people really
are -- just as there's a limit to the amount of hydrogen in the Universe.