[geeks] just to stir things up, a few predictions

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Oct 18 09:56:50 CDT 2004

> From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm at mendelson.com>
> Date: 2004/10/18 Mon PM 12:32:33 GMT
> To: geeks list <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: [geeks] just to stir things up, a few predictions
>
> Since it has been awfully quiet here for a few days, I thought I would
> stir things up with some predictions. Most are based upon my observation
> from afar: :-)
>

> 1. Bush will be re-elected.

I giggle when I see a bunch of Kerry Supporters, because I can't help but think about the whining s**t-storm that will errupt when their candidate gets enough votes in the wrong places to become president (the electoral college goes by winning or losing a state, and really, winning a state by a huge number is the same as just winning a state)...

> 2. Very Few (5-10%) of the absentee ballots will be counted.

Well, I think the majority will be counted, I expect there to be a fuss over the "dual voters" (snow birds that live in NY metro area during the summer, and winter in FL - there are many folks registered to vote in both states, and if they are caught, it is a federal crime)...

> 3. The electoral college will fail Political science 101.

Well, I think the electoral college has a few more years left in it - everyone has invested too much time and effort trying to figure out how to spin it to their advantage that most are reluctant to change it.

I want to see a law passed that money rasied inone state has to stay/be spent in that state - that would be fun. I feel sorry for the "battle ground" states, they are being overwhelmed by advertising funded (I assume) by out-of-state contributors...

> 4. There will be an amendment to the constitution to elimiate the electoral
>    college.

See above...

> 5. It will include permission for Gov. Schwartzenegger to be president.

Well, the natural born citizen requirement may need to be reconsidered...

> 6. CBS plauged with with credability problems will drop it's news division
>    which has NEVER made a profit.

News insn't supposed to make a profit, that's why the FCC requires networks to have them (actually, it is a public service requirement, but news is the easiest way to satisfy that requirement)...

> 7. CBS will become the all CSI network and will change it's name to CSI.

Once "Everybody Loves Raymond" and "Two and a Half Men" are off the air, maybe ;^)

> 8. AT&T will find a memorandum proving that it never actually sold UNIX,
>    only rented it.

That would be great...

<snip>